About the JCW Home Studio Wall System
The JCW Home Studio Wall Soundproofing System is specially designed to massively upgrade existing walls so that sound transmission from neighbours or adjoining rooms is greatly reduced.
The system involves the following component elements and fitting methods:
- Install vertical 75mm timber battens (not supplied) at appropriate centres on the walls to be treated
- Position JCW Acoustic Slab between 75mm vertical timber wall battens
- Offer a layer of JCW Acoustic Silent Board to the resilient bars followed by a final layer of JCW Acoustic Plasterboard
- The whole system is isolated off the surrounding walls and ceiling using a thin bead of JCW Acoustic Sealant around the perimeter and JCW Acoustic Isolation Strip at the sole and top plate
- The fully installed system is around 130mm (just over 5 inches) thick so the impact on space loss when installed in smaller than average rooms needs to be considered
Product summary and benefits
- Ideal as a Noisy Neighbour Solution on party walls or for a home recording studio
- Complete system offering the highest level of acoustic improvement
- Simple to apply by anyone with good basic DIY skills
- High Performance and Great Value – the JCW Home Studio Wall System offers high performance combined with great value for money and is available for fast delivery nationwide
- Fire retardant
- 100% Recycled Material
- Flexible, once installed the plasterboard surface is ready for any decorative finish
Professional Installation Service available
For customers who need or prefer it, Soundproofyourhome offers a professional acoustic installation service across the UK.
Our skilled and experienced tradesmen understand acoustic materials and how to fit them quickly and correctly.
The result is a cost effective service and peace of mind about the acoustic integrity of your project. Contact us today for a free quotation.
Soundproofyourhome is the domestic market operations division of JCW Acoustic Supplies Ltd, the UK’s leading manufacturer and distributor of soundproofing, sound insulation and sound absorbing products.
Sound advice from Soundproofyourhome:
Contact us today and tell us more about the noise problems you are experiencing. Our friendly, helpful advisors will offer you the most appropriate acoustic solutions available to meet your acoustic needs and budget from our comprehensive range.
We believe talking about your situation and offering sound advice based on our vast experience in the acoustics business is a more reliable way of solving your noise problem than simply taking your order or selling “off the screen”, as some companies do.
And if you are in any doubt about issues associated with soundproofing, like weight of materials, structural strength or meeting Building Regulations, then please talk to us – we’ll be happy to help.
Free Sample Service: just ask
This system combines a variety of acoustic insulation elements which when correctly applied will offer the highest level of acoustic performance improvement possible in a construction.
JCW Home Studio Wall Soundproofing System: Individual Element Specifications:
JCW Silent Board
Composition: Noise stopping, fire retardant 12.5mm acoustic plasterboard laminated to a 15mm acoustic resilient layer (comprising reconstituted polyurethane foam sandwiched between 2 layers of recycled rubber mat)
Board Size: 1.2m x 1.2m
Weight: 24.7kg each
Part E Requirement: 43dB
Super Slim Performance: 45dB
JCW Acoustic Plasterboard
Pale blueface paper
Brown reverse paper
Complies BS EN 520 categorised as type D, gypsum plasterboard with controlled density
Thermal Resistance: 12.5mm = 0.05m2 K/W, 15.0mm = 0.06m2 K/W
Thermal Conductivity: 0.25 W/m
Thickness Width (mm) Length (mm) Weight
12.5mm 1200 1200mm 15.25 kgs
Soundproofyourhome supply the following products to enhance the acoustic integrity of the installation:
- JCW Acoustic Sealant and Applicator Gun
- JCW Acoustic Isolation Strip
At a glance guide to what you’ll need for the JCW Home Studio Wall Soundproofing System
You can quickly work out how much soundproofing products and ancillaries you’ll want if you use this at a glance guide to calculate things. Check the square metre dimensions of the area to be treated and apply to the tables below. Where the initials TBD are shown, please discuss details of your installation with our advisor in order to calculate exactly how much you will need, depending on the nature of the construction.
|JCW Silent Board (sheets/coverage m2)
||JCW Acoustic Plasterboard Sheets
||JCW Acoustic Slab
||JCW Isolation Strip
||JCW Acoustic Sealant
||4 sheets approx (5.76)
||8 sheets approx (11.52)
||12 sheets approx (17.28)
||16 sheets approx (23.04)
||20 sheets approx (28.80)
||24 sheets approx (34.56)
||26 sheets approx (37.44)
||30 sheets approx (43.20)
||34 sheets approx (48.96)
||38 sheets approx (54.72)
JCW Acoustic Slab – slabs per pack and area coverage guide
||Slabs per Pack
||Area Coverage per Pack (m2)
||1200 x 600
||1200 x 600
||1200 x 600
||1200 x 600
Remember, you may need to add extra materials to cope with mistakes and mis-measures, so we advise you think seriously about allowing for wastage and off-cuts.
Please note: If in any doubt that a construction will meet Building Regulations, any other issues concerning acoustic performance or for more information about our products, please contact an Acoustic Advisor for help and advice.
DIY Installation Guide for the JCW Home Studio Wall Soundproofing System
Please remember that incorrect installation techniques and using inappropriate materials will compromise the integrity of any acoustic solution. Also all supplied products should be clean, dry and correctly stored prior to work starting. Please follow this general guidance to avoid any incorrect installation.
Ensure the area being worked is weather tight before installing the floor. JCW Silent Board and JCW Acoustic Plasterboard should only be installed when conditioned to the environment; ideally its moisture content should be the same as can be expected when in service. Avoid starting work if conditions are damp or there is strong evidence of condensation.
Always ensure the materials used in this acoustic solution are stored flat and great care is taken to protect all edges and corners.
- Step 1. Check the wall to be treated is flat and remove any skirting boards and any coving as appropriate. If the wall surface has been wet plastered earlier, gently tap the whole area. If you get a hollow sound it means the plaster has “blown” i.e. not bonded correctly with the base surface. There may also be some movement when the plaster surface is pressed hard. In both cases, chip off the plaster from the affected area, re-plaster and allow to dry before acoustic products are applied.
- Step 2. Remove any electrical fittings. Only a qualified electrician should do this work. Also use a qualified electrician to re-instate any wiring and electrical fittings etc afterwards.
- Step 3. Prior to fixing timber battens to the wall by screwing them into the existing timber wall studs, fix a top plate and a sole plate to the ceiling and floor of the wall respectively. These plates should be acoustically separated from the ceiling and floor by a layer of JCW Acoustic Isolation Strip which can be pinned or glued in position before screw fixing the plates to the ceiling and floor. Trim off any excess once the plates are fitted. You can locate existing timber joists (and timber wall studs) either by using a digital joist finder or penetrating the plaster with a thin sharp screwdriver or bradawl until solid resistance is met. After finding the first stud, other studs will usually be found at 400mm intervals to the left or right.
- Step 4. Similarly, pin or glue JCW Acoustic Isolation Strip to the wall prior to screwing the timber battens to the wall with suitably sized screws. Make sure the screw heads are fully counter sunk into the timber. Trim off any excess with a sharp craft knife once the battens are fitted.
- Step 5. Infill the void with 75mm thick JCW Acoustic Slab which can touch the wall but must not protrude above the surface of the batten. The slab can be loose fitted without adhesive. For the ultimate acoustic performance you can alternatively fit JCW High Performance Acoustic Quilt which can be easily stapled (use an upholstery stapler only) to the inside edges of the stud.
- Step 6. Start the installation from the bottom left or bottom right corner of the wall
- Step 7. Offer the first JCW Silent Board to the wall, with the plasterboard surface facing the inside of the room, ensuring it is fitted square and allow a 5mm gap around the perimeter edge of the wall
- Step 8. The board is fixed using 9 drywall screws and plugs evenly placed in 3 rows x 3 screws. Mark the board prior to screwing to make sure the fix is always to the resilient bar (walls and ceilings), ensuring there is a solid fix to the bars (each board weighs 24.7kgs).
- Step 9. Once the first board is in position, the next board in the bottom row can be butted up to the first board – continue this process until all boards are in place in the bottom row – and trimmed as necessary to allow the 5mm perimeter gap
- Step 10. Boards may be cut with a suitable handsaw and sharp trimming knife
- Step 11. Start the second row from the end of the first row with staggered joints and continue in this fashion until the fitting is complete
- Step 12. Now screw the final layer of 12.5mm JCW Acoustic Plasterboard on top, again taking care to avoid screws fixing into the studs
- Step 13. Fill all the 5mm perimeter gaps with JCW Acoustic Sealant
- Step 14. The JCW Home Studio Acoustic Wall system is now ready for a plaster skim or your choice of other final decorative finish
If you need any more advice regarding installation of this system, please contact us by telephone or email.