About the system
The main component of this system is a double sound blocker layer of JCW Silent Wall comprising an inner core of 2mm thick JCW Weight Enhanced Barrier Mat which is supplied pre-laminated to an outer layer of 12.5mm JCW Acoustic Plasterboard. Once this double layer has been fixed to the wall, an additional final layer of JCW Acoustic Plasterboard is fixed to provide an impressive acoustic performance result. Because it is so slim and effective, at just 27mm in total, there is little compromise on living space.
It can be applied to either masonry or stud walls and is also suitable to reduce flanking noise up and down walls and will give a 46 dB sound reduction on single brick walls.
The system is light to handle and easy to fit with little DIY experience.
Silent Wall Premier System summary and benefits
- Ideal as a quick to install Noisy Neighbour Solution on party walls – a complete system
- Simple to apply to lightweight wall structures or existing plasterboard – so there’s no studwork required
- Practical, slim composition means little compromise on living space despite high performance – at a total thickness of 27mm or just over 1 inch
- Fire retardant
- 100% Recycled Material
- Flexible, once installed the plasterboard surface is ready for any decorative finish
Professional Installation Service available
For customers who need or prefer it, Soundproofyourhome offers a professional acoustic installation service across the UK.
Our skilled and experienced tradesmen understand acoustic materials and how to fit them quickly and correctly.
The result is a cost effective service and peace of mind about the acoustic integrity of your project. Contact us today for a free quotation.
Soundproofyourhome is the domestic market operations division of JCW Acoustic Supplies Ltd, the UK’s leading manufacturer and distributor of soundproofing, sound insulation and sound absorbing products.
Sound advice from Soundproofyourhome:
Contact us today and tell us more about the noise problems you are experiencing. Our friendly, helpful advisors will offer you the most appropriate acoustic solutions available to meet your acoustic needs and budget from our comprehensive range.
We believe talking about your situation and offering sound advice based on our vast experience in the acoustics business is a more reliable way of solving your noise problem than simply taking your order or selling “off the screen”, as some companies do.
And if you are in any doubt about issues associated with soundproofing, like weight of materials, structural strength or meeting Building Regulations, then please talk to us – we’ll be happy to help.
Free Sample Service: just ask
- Part E Requirements 43 dB
- JCW Slim Wall Acoustic Wall System 46 dB
Tested to satisfy Building Regulations
This Slim Acoustic Wall System complies with the requirement contained in the 2003 edition of Approved Document Part E (England & Wales) of the Building Regulations and Section 5 (Scotland).
JCW Silent Wall Premier System Specification
Composition: JCW Silent Wall: 1 soundblocker double layer of noise stopping, fire retardant 12.5mm JCW Acoustic Plasterboard, supplied pre-laminated to an inner of 2mm JCW Weight Enhanced Barrier Mat, plus an additional final layer of 12.5mm JCW Acoustic Plasterboard
Board Sizes: 1.2m x 1.2m
System Thickness: Sound blocker double layer at 14.5mm plus one additional layer of JCW Acoustic Plasterboard at 12.5mm. Total system thickness 27mm
Overall Weight: Soundblocker pre-laminated double layer sheets weigh 22.5 kg each plus final layer of JCW Acoustic Plasterboard at 15.26 kgs each
Soundproofyourhome supply the following acoustic ancillaries to enhance the acoustic integrity of the installation of this system:
- JCW Acoustic Sealant and Applicator Gun
At a glance guide to help calculate what you’ll need for the JCW Silent Wall Premier System
You can quickly work out how much soundproofing products and ancillaries you’ll want if you use this at a glance guide to calculate things. Check the square metre dimensions of the area to be treated and apply to the tables below
| Wall Area in m2
|JCW Silent Wall (soundblocker sheets/coverage m2)
||JCW Acoustic Plasterboard Sheets
||JCW Acoustic Sealant
||1 sheet approx (1.44 )
||2 sheets approx (2.88)
|| 3 sheets approx (4.32)
||3 sheets approx (4.32)
||4 sheets approx (5.76)
||5 sheets approx (7.20)
||7 sheets approx (10.08)
||11 sheets approx (15.84)
||14 sheets approx (20.16)
||18 sheets approx (25.92)
Remember, you may need to add extra materials to cope with mistakes and mis-measures, so we advise you think seriously about allowing for wastage and off-cuts. Please ask for advice.
Please note: If in any doubt that a construction will meet Building Regulations, any other issues concerning acoustic performance or for more information about our products, please contact an Acoustic Advisor for help and advice.
DIY Installation Guide for the JCW Silent Wall Premier System
Incorrect installation techniques and the use of inappropriate materials can compromise the integrity of any acoustic solution. Also all supplied products should be clean, dry and correctly stored prior to work starting. Please follow this general guidance to avoid any incorrect installation which could have an adverse effect on acoustic performance.
Ensure the area being worked is weather tight before installing the acoustic wall solution. JCW Silent Wall soundblocker sheets and JCW Acoustic Plasterboard should only be installed when conditioned to the environment; ideally its moisture content should be the same as can be expected when in service. Avoid starting work if conditions are damp or there is strong evidence of condensation.
It is important that the component elements of this system are always stored flat and great care taken not to damage the edges and corners.
- Step 1. Ensure the wall to be treated is flat and remove any skirting boards and any coving as appropriate. If the wall surface has been wet plastered earlier, give it a gentle tap. If you get a hollow sound it means the plaster has “blown” i.e. not bonded correctly with the base surface. Chip off the plaster from the affected area, re-plaster and allow to dry before acoustic products are applied.
- Step 2. Remove any electrical fittings. Only a qualified electrician should do this work. Also use a qualified electrician to re-instate any wiring and electrical fittings etc.
- Step 3. Start the installation from the bottom left or bottom right corner of the wall
- Step 4. Offer the first JCW Silent Wall soundblocker sheet to the wall ensuring it is fitted square and allow a 5mm gap around the perimeter edge of the wall
- Step 5. The sheet should be fixed using 9 drywall screws and plugs evenly placed in 3 rows x 3 screws. Ensure there is a solid fix to the existing wall (each board weighs 22.5 kgs)
- Step 6. Once the first JCW Silent Wall soundblocker sheet is in position, the next sheet in the bottom row can be butted up to the first sheet – continue this process until all soundblocker sheets are in place in the bottom row – and trimmed as necessary to allow the 5mm perimeter gap
- Step 7. Boards may be cut with a suitable handsaw and sharp trimming knife
- Step 8. Start the second row from the end of the first row with staggered joints and continue in this fashion until the fitting is complete
- Step 9. Fill the 5mm perimeter gap with JCW Acoustic Sealant
- Step 10. Repeat steps 1 to 9 above to apply the final finishing layer of JCW Acoustic Plasterboard
- Step 11. The JCW Silent Wall Premier System is now ready for a plaster skim or your choice of other final decorative finish