About the products
JCW Home Studio Ceiling Soundproofing System comprises four different layers of highly effective sound insulation products which are used in combination to yield impressive results.
Once the existing ceiling has been removed, a layer of JCW Acoustic Easy Fit Slab is placed in the exposed cavity between the joists, as a first sound barrier layer.
Then JCW Acoustic Silent Board is fixed to the exposed joists. Next a layer of 2mm thick JCW Weight Enhanced Barrier Mat, which has a density of 5 kgs per square metre, is pinned or screwed to the JCW Acoustic Silent Board.
A final finishing layer of JCW Acoustic Plasterboard is then applied.
At a total thickness of 42mm there is minimal loss of living space for a significant improvement in overall impact and airborne acoustic performance.
Product summary and benefits
- Ideal as a Noisy Neighbour Solution on party ceilings – a complete system
- Simple to apply to lightweight ceiling structures from the room below – so there’s no studwork required or access to the room or property above
- Practical, slim overall composition means little compromise on living space despite high performance – a total thickness of 42mm (less than 2 inches)
- Fire retardant
- 100% Recycled Material
- Flexible, once installed the acoustic plasterboard surface is ready for any decorative finish
JCW Home Studio Ceiling Soundproofing System Specification
JCW Acoustic Easy Fit Slab
- Composition: Non-combustible rock mineral wool, defined as mineral wool in BS: 3533: 1981 and manufactured in accordance with BSI Quality Assurance Standard BS EN ISO 9001: 2000.
- Slab Size: 1200mm x 600mm
- Thickness options: 25mm/50mm/75mm/100mm
- Density: 45 kgs per m3
- Fire Classification: Euroclass A1 to BS EN ISO 13501-1
- Eco friendly: Zero ODP and Zero GWP
- Vapour resistivity: 7.00 MN s.g.m.
- Thermal R Value: 1.25 m2K/W
JCW Acoustic Easy Fit Slab – slabs per pack and area coverage guide
Thickness (mm) Slab Size Slabs per Pack Area Coverage per Pack (m2)
100 1200 x 600 5 3.6
75 1200 x 600 6 4.32
50 1200 x 600 10 7.2
25 1200 x 600 20 14.4
JCW Weight Enhanced Soundproofing Barrier Mat
- Composition: High density polymer with mineral loaded filler
- Thickness: 2mm
- Weight: 5kgs per m2
- Weight per Roll: 30 kgs
- Roll size: 2m x 1200mm x 5m
- Coverage per Roll: 6m2
- Flammability (FMVSS 302): Zero burn rate, self extinguishing
- Tensile strength: BS 2782: Part 3: 1976: 5.75N.mm2 2.6Mpa
- Elongation at break: (BS2782: Part 3: 1976)
- Hardness (Shore A): 90 Deg C
- Service temperature: (less than symbol) 90 Deg C; continuous (less than symbol) 120 Deg C; short periods (more than symbol) -30 Deg C
JCW Acoustic Silent Board
- Composition: Noise stopping, fire retardant 12.5mm acoustic plasterboard laminated to a 15mm acoustic resilient layer (comprising reconstituted polyurethane foam sandwiched between 2 layers of recycled rubber mat)
- Board Size: 1.2m x 1.2m
- Thickness: 2.75cm
- Weight: 24.7kg each
- Part E Requirement: 43dB
- JCW Acoustic Silent Board Performance: 45dB
JCW Acoustic Plasterboard
- Pale blue face paper
- Brown reverse paper
- Board Size: 1.2m x 1.2m
- Board Weight: 15.26 kgs each
- Complies BS EN 520 categorised as type D, gypsum plasterboard with controlled density
- Thermal Resistance: 12.5mm = 0.05m2 K/W, 15.0mm = 0.06m2 K/W
- Thermal Conductivity: 0.25 W/m
- Fire resistant
Soundproofyourhome supply the following acoustic ancillaries to enhance the acoustic integrity of the installation of this system:
- JCW Acoustic Sealant and Applicator Gun
At a glance guide to help you calculate what you’ll need for the JCW Home Studio Ceiling System
You can quickly work out how much soundproofing products and ancillaries you’ll want if you use this at a glance guide to calculate things. Check the square metre dimensions of the area to be treated and apply to the tables below
| Ceiling Area in square metres m2
|JCW Easy Fit Acoustic Slab
||JCW Weight Enhanced Barrier Mat (2mm thick)
||JCW Silent Board panels required (approx coverage/m2)
|JCW Acoustic Plasterboard (12.5mm thick)
||JCW Acoustic Sealant
Remember, you may need to add extra materials to cope with mistakes and mis-measures, so we advise you think seriously about allowing for wastage and off-cuts.
Please note: If in any doubt that a construction will meet Building Regulations, any other issues concerning acoustic performance or for more information about our products, please contact an Acoustic Advisor for help and advice.
DIY Installation Guide for the JCW Home Studio Ceiling Soundproofing System
Incorrect installation techniques and the use of inappropriate materials will compromise the integrity of any acoustic solution. Also all supplied products should be clean, dry and correctly stored prior to work starting.
Ensure the area being worked is weather tight before installation starts. The acoustic products in the JCW Home Studio Ceiling Soundproofing System should only be installed when conditioned to their environment; ideally the moisture content should be the same as can be expected when in service. Avoid starting work if conditions are damp or there is strong evidence of condensation.
Always store JCW Acoustic Plasterboard and JCW Silent Board flat, taking great care not to damage any edges and corners.
Note: Although individual component product elements in this solution are not too heavy, involving two people rather than one in the installation process is usually better.
- Step 1. Remove any electrical fittings. Only a qualified electrician should do this work. Also use a qualified electrician to re-instate any wiring and electrical fittings etc when the installation is finished.
- Step 2. Remove the existing ceiling and dispose of the waste materials in accordance with your Local Authority regulations.
- Step 3. Brush off any dust or debris from the exposed underside of the floor above
- Step 4. Now cut the JCW Acoustic Slab to size using a sharp long bladed knife. Cut the slab slightly over size and it should self support between the joists by friction fitting it to the cavity. Where necessary JCW Spray on Contact Adhesive can be used to help the slab stay in place or alternatively it can be held in place by simultaneously fitting the first layer of JCW Weight Enhanced Barrier Mat. The knife used should be re-sharpened often to maintain performance.
- Step 5. Fit the slab between the joists using as many layers as the cavity will allow to further enhance acoustic performance (where cavity space is limited, you could consider fitting as an alternative our JCW High Performance Acoustic Quilt, a premium acoustic partition roll giving around four times the sound absorption of standard mineral wool at a thickness of just 52mm).
- Step 6. Now screw-fix a layer of JCW Silent Board to the exposed joists, keeping the plasterboard side facing the inside of the room and the resilient acoustic layer facing the ceiling cavity. Make sure there is a 5mm gap around the entire perimeter. We strongly recommend that you use only plated screws and pins as this will inhibit any possible corrosion during the life of the installation.
- Step 7. Now cut the JCW Weight Enhanced Barrier Mat to size and pin or screw it to the JCW Silent Board. Ensure you leave a 5mm gap between all the acoustic material being fitted and the perimeter wall. This will later be filled using JCW Acoustic Sealant to maintain the acoustic integrity of the solution and prevent flanking noise.
- Step 8. Now screw fix the final layer of JCW Acoustic Plasterboard, again making sure you avoid previous screws. Make sure the screw heads finish just below the surface of the plasterboard on the panel (counter sink the screws into the plasterboard so they do not protrude above the plasterboard surface). The small recess which results will be in-filled when the final plaster skim finish is applied to the ceiling. Pre-drill any panel that needs a hole through it for any electric cables.
- Step 9. JCW Silent Board and JCW Acoustic Plasterboard can be cut with a suitable handsaw and sharp trimming knife
- Step 10. Finally, fill in the 5mm gap around the perimeter of the ceiling with JCW Acoustic Sealant
- Step 11. The JCW Home Studio Ceiling Soundproofing System is now ready for a plaster skim or your choice of final decorative finish.
Professional Installation Service available
For customers who need or prefer it, Soundproofyourhome offers a professional acoustic installation service across the UK.
Our skilled and experienced tradesmen understand acoustic materials and how to fit them quickly and correctly.
The result is a cost effective service and peace of mind about the acoustic integrity of your project. Contact us today for a free quotation.
Soundproofyourhome is the domestic market operations division of JCW Acoustic Supplies Ltd, the UK’s leading manufacturer and distributor of soundproofing, sound insulation and sound absorbing products.
Sound advice from Soundproofyourhome:
Contact us today and tell us more about the noise problems you are experiencing. Our friendly, helpful advisors will offer you the most appropriate acoustic solutions available to meet your acoustic needs and budget from our comprehensive range.
We believe talking about your situation and offering sound advice based on our vast experience in the acoustics business is a more reliable way of solving your noise problem than simply taking your order or selling “off the screen”, as some companies do.
And if you are in any doubt about issues associated with soundproofing, like weight of materials, structural strength or meeting Building Regulations, then please talk to us – we’ll be happy to help.